sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] My resignation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] My resignation
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 13:19:11 -0500

I want to put a few thoughts in here somewhere and this seems as good a
message as any to reply to but I'm not replying to anything Eric said in
particular.

On Jul 21, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> The branches work, the methods work, and various folks work on their
> projects,
> but the big difficult parts (especially testing) are often relegated to
> SEPs (Someone Else's Problem).
>
> My largest complaint, and one I work on every time I get a chance to work
> on SMGL, is that there is much brokenness in the Grimoire. I spend more
> time fixing spells to get to where I was trying to do work, than doing
> the work I (e.g. fixing that libpthread-stubs and later libxcb bugs for
> devel-xorg-modular) I initially set out to do.

I hear this periodically but want to at least mention that I don't
personally run into it. Periodically some kind of X update will trip up
something it takes me a few minute sto resolve, but I never have the
problem where "getting it to work takes all the time I had". And I don't
have a small installation--DBG has over 270 individual SMGL server installs
last time I counted, and between home and work I manage 9 SMGL
workstations. Maybe I don't update the workstations often enough, or maybe
I just prefer my systems lean enough I don't hit a bunch of edge cases or
whatever they are, but my experience remains very positive and my major
regret remains that I can't find significant time to help for the last
several years.

Obviously this isn't a "yes it is" "no it isn't" situation--if anyone is
hitting these issues they are real issues. I guess I just wanted to put
the positive experience out there along with the rest and say "thanks to
all for continuing to make my life as a sysadmin so much easier".