sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] My resignation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] My resignation
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 16:22:19 -0500

On 7/20/2012 7:46 PM, Sukneet Basuta wrote:
>> Cauldron scripts work, just nobody has bothered to take the time to
>> build another iso. You want one? build it. Ask flux_control for help,
>> he'll be more than happy to explain you how to do it. Make it, show that
>> it installs for people, and we'll make it official.
>
> If that's addressed to me, I don't really care about Cauldron. IMO
> chroots > cauldron. If Cauldron is still the official method to
> install Source Mage, then I guess we do need a new one, but given that
> we have fairly recent chroots, I don't think it's currently necessary.

It was not my intent to particularly target any one individual. I just
took the opportunity to say some things that have been brought up many
times.

> As I stated, I'm working on the stuff I think is important. I've spent
> the past month or two trying to build up a test box so I can get
> devel-xorg merged into test, but I've run into way to many broken
> spells (I'm hitting yes to everything). If you think my attention is
> better spent elsewhere, let me know.

I think that's fine. I don't feel like I should be telling you what to
do. Getting things working and doing what you enjoy doing is important.
If you want me to tell you what to do, I'm going to tell you what I
think is most important, and that's some kind of automated tests
associated with spells. Some kind of framework, or just more scripts
that anyone can run upon update that are used as a gate, either into
stable, or into committing into the grimoire itself. Some measure of
quality other than "works for me on my box with whatever environment I
have." That's just my $0.02au.

> Hopefully this email didn't make me come across as a complete bastard.

No more than mine did :D

--
David