sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] My resignation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] My resignation
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 16:47:30 +0400

> I wasn't referring to forking. I don't think forking would do much
> good for a distro as small as Source Mage.

Even when replied to your comment, my message wasn't pointed at you
really. Sorry for misunderstanding.

It's primarily for those, who continues to complain and still bumps
stuff and only versions he uses in multiversion spells, which leads to
semi-outdated ones, where only one half of the spell works well
instead of fixing bugs they are complaining about.

> I think I already do.

I know, and it's really visible how spells are changing to the good
side. Thanks.

> I have been using Arch Linux for longer than I have Source Mage, and
> it's still the main distro on my laptop. I can honestly say I've never
> had any stability problems with it. I think its a great example of how
> a distro can be bleeding edge and still be stable. It doesn't have
> per-package configurability though, so it is much simpler to maintain.
> Also, I wouldn't say its rock-solid like Debian or CentOS.

Then you still use it for a very few tasks. Under complex setups
(especially servers' ones) it's nothing but PITA as well as for
multi-tasking desktop purposes. And of course it's not even near by
Debian's rock-solidness.

> I understand your push for stability over bleeding edge, but I want to
> run bleeding edge software. Part of the reason why I like Source Mage
> so much (and what originally drew me to the distro) is that software
> is updated very quickly. I can honestly say I would not have touched
> Source Mage if it had non-current software, and, honestly, I would
> leave if it did not. Don't get me wrong, Source Mage is the closest
> thing to an ideal distro for me and I would prefer not to leave.

You say that only because you have enough time to fix stuff and fix it
again. Once you got social status like the most of ours, you'll hate
when every new update breaks one more thing and you need to spend yet
another week to fix this instead of doing your real job. OS by
developers for developers is fine, but it must have enough level of
stability, otherwise OS is dead. And finally if you're left alone with
a couple of thousands of bugs, you'll drop it, trashing all your
enthusiasm.

By now you just don't see these complex dependencies in the distro.
You CAN'T mindlessly update glibc, gcc, coreutils, fuse, and a couple of
hundreds of spells. Update grep and you'll get errors in architecture
selection. Update glibc -- and you'll loose nfs/rpc support (or
somesuch). Update fuse -- and you'll get broken installation of any
spell with castfs. Dispel castfs to fix that -- and you'll get problems
when installing browsers like firefox, which would lead into a
semi-functional system, which therefore will stuck you to nothing
instead of helping you to do your tasks at home, at work and so on.
I've named just a few of these problems and theirs consequences, but
actually there's much more, much. Especially when you maintain 140 smgl
boxes over the globe with different purposes, power, multi-server
architectures, etc.

At the moment you care only about your kernel, your filesystem, and
your number of needs and spells for them. But I think in a global scale,
which shows everything isn't that funny, and forces you to think about
minimal level of stability above bleeding edge.

> Also, since I feel that a lot of these "Stop complaining and fix it"
> comments are aimed at me

As I said above -- no. Sorry again for misunderstanding.

--
Dont wait to die to find paradise...