sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] My resignation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] My resignation
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:17:49 -0700

On Jul 21, 2012, at 4:56 AM, flux wrote:
> tl;dr: I agree with David, and complaining is harmful to the distro.
> Pointing out that something needs to be fixed *and* offering to help fix
> it is quite helpful, and hasn't been happening.

* For the below, all references to "you" are the generic "you" and not
directed
at a specific person or group. *

Ditto. The best example is devel-xorg-modular not being merged because of
a single bug that no one (including myself, though I've attempted now and
then) has gone to fix.

My TLDR; if you want something fixed, do it yourself or lead the way for
others to follow, don't sit back and complain. :)

The branches work, the methods work, and various folks work on their projects,
but the big difficult parts (especially testing) are often relegated to
SEPs (Someone Else's Problem).

My largest complaint, and one I work on every time I get a chance to work
on SMGL, is that there is much brokenness in the Grimoire. I spend more
time fixing spells to get to where I was trying to do work, than doing
the work I (e.g. fixing that libpthread-stubs and later libxcb bugs for
devel-xorg-modular) I initially set out to do.

There's no way I'm stopping using SMGL nor developing for it, but I, and
everyone else, can only put in as much time as we have available. I still
use SMGL as my server, my work desktop, and a personal laptop, so it's
definitely in use here in my household. ;)

What we should have done to get devel-xorg-modular merged was open
a master bug and have anyone with issues file related bugs that had to be
fixed before the merged). Use and follow this process and you will get your
branches merged. If no one complains about the branch *after* you start
the master bug and send an announcement to the list in a reasonable
timeframe (say, a month), then go ahead and merge the branch (IMO).

As for Sorcery and Cauldron, if you feel that they are in need of help,
the code is right there for you to check out and help, rather than
depending on one person to do all of the work. Sorcery is fairly complex
and has almost always been relegated (not by choice) to one person, with
brief periods with a few helpers.

I am unsure what's broken about the webpage as Chiliproject seems to work
well and any support I have requested (e.g. account access) has been
resolved fairly quickly. Why change it if it's working? We've spent quite
a bit of work re-doing our website several times, which to me is wasted
time. If there's something you don't like or want improved, again, just
ask for access and/or propose *and* work on the improvement and you'll
see it arrive.

If you think you can do better as a Project/Component Lead, step up and
volunteer. It is a lot more work than it seems and less fun than you hope. ;)

-sandalle

http://eric.sandall.us/ | http://counter.li.org/ #196285