sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] My resignation

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Vlad Glagolev <stealth AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] My resignation
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2012 00:46:35 +0400

> > Fork?
> > New leaders ballot?
>
> Possibly.

Give me at least 3 reasons, and I'll fork it, personally.

But first of all tell me: how much the fork will change? Why do you
think it'll be possible to get the process going after the fork, if
you're not ready to solve several issues just now? By whom? New
uber-progressive team? Come on, we live in real world, and know how
simple things work.

So this is yet another useless complaining discussion which just wastes
the time, instead of providing one for actual development and
bug-fixing.

In this thread I completely agree with David, and by the first time I
didn't want to mail anything, cause he said as much as I would like to.

You all know about our team-size. Yes? Yes. Then, as I've been repeating
for the last years, if you see the bug -- just fix it; stop complaining
about not-tested&&not-merged-cause-of-that branches, because NOONE WILL
DO THIS FOR YOU (as per our team-size as told above). STOP THIS, REALLY.

STOP bumping basic spells, which brakes 50-75% of the system, STOP
following fedora or arch in this up-to-date RACE. IT'S POINTLESS since
it hurts the distro's stability (arch stability is awful cause of that,
just look into theirs forums; redhat bugtracker is also full of bugs
cause of non-stop package update and architectural changes -- I visit
them both really often and know the situation; if you don't trust me --
try to switch to arch and keep it in sync). STOP using the distro as
developer just only for your own single box, forgetting about tens or
hundreds of other users who also use it and face a ton of problems
cause of your bumps or not-tested commits, and test as much as possible
in every spell instead of checking only those options which you care about.
THIS IS NOT DEVELOPMENT, BUT SELFISHNESS.

Instead, spend this time for developing solutions to solve serious
issues that stop further rapid development. Bring up TEN virtual
machines and test several REALLY BIG PROBLEMS or branch-merges
(which could also be marked as really big problems) instead of bumping
spells on your box, which increases number of new bugs TWICE OR TRIPLE
times.

The last time, me and Eric (at least I heard much from him about this)
have spent a lot of time for fixing stuff just to make it work. Try to
do the same, please. Try to really use the distro, try to use it not only
for chit-chat or coding with vi. Select any DE/WM and test it in
different setups. Select any
database/webserver/fs-tool/just-any-program and make sure it compiles,
installs and works at least on 2 arches with and without turned on and
turned off options. Look at and check dependencies and flags it has missing.

I REPEAT: NOONE WILL DO THIS FOR YOU. We don't have 1k state that would
fix all the problems after your simple spell-bumping. If you see a
serious bug -- fix it. Spend a month to develop and test the solution
instead of 100 spell-bumps that would bring 150 new problems to the
distro. Spend another month to generate new stable chroot image or ISO with
tested basic spells. Spend yet another month to go through C code of
castfs and fix its segfaulting in some situations and/or with recent
release of fuse. I did this many times; and if you wanna know how
effective you are, try to check all of your commits and count how many
bug-fixes, added missing [sub]dependencies or settings, solved compilation
issues and added new spells did you make compared to the total number.

Like Justin said, we could roll out new stable ISO every week instead of
having new glib2 2.32.1.. -> ..10 and friends versions. Just noone cares and
continues to trash priorities which digs the distro deeper and deeper.

It hurts much more than a lack of mirrors or new website. This is not a
test ©. And btw, I haven't said anything new, just repeated my thoughts
in yet-another-yelling thread [0], [1], [2], [3].

As for you, Bor, I hope you've found your way. Have fun with it.

[0] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2012-February/021064.html
[1] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2012-February/021062.html
[2] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2012-January/021011.html
[3] https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/sm-discuss/2011-July/020652.html