permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Bucky Fuller, interesting Usenet newsgroups

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: rmhoward@omninet.net.au
  • To: john@eco-living.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Bucky Fuller, interesting Usenet newsgroups
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 21:49:00 +0800

On 15 Oct 2003 at 22:15, John Schinnerer wrote:

>> > Why are we so slow to get this?
>
> Partly the same reason, I reckon, that there is (still) rubbish along
> all our roadsides, gum and cigarette butts on every street and
> sidewalk, mattresses and old TVs and refrigerators and dead cars in
> the cricks and hollers and backroad turnouts and neglected urban lots.
>
> It's not about "the politicians," and it's not about technology.

Interestingly though, in Australia, there has been a veritable sea change in
attitude
about roadside rubbish ovr the last 30 years. Partly attributable to a
charismatic non-
politician/social activis, Ian McKiernan, and partly attributable to the
"politics of the
possible". True some parts of Australia are cleaner than other parts. But for
anybody
over 50, the change has been remarkable.

I think that the 'clean up australia' revolution happened because it was a
safety valve
for environmental issues and because it was individually empowering. Cleaning
up the
beaches or parks is not an uncommon preoccupation of people experiencing
manias or
pychotic episodes.

Undoubtedly though, the early impact of green politics in Australia during
the eighties
was the driving force behind this change.

Bob