permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Bucky Fuller, interesting Usenet newsgroups

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Kosuth <prkosuth@ll.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Bucky Fuller, interesting Usenet newsgroups
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:02:36 -0500

Michele May wrote:

You wrote:

"It's not about "the politicians," and it's not about technology.
IMO that was one of Fuller's blind spots - he, too, seemed to believe
that our technology could somehow save us from ourselves.

John Schinnerer - MA, Whole Systems Design"

I think that what Fuller was getting at was that we have the means for all people to be successful to the detriment of none (thats close to a quote I think.) Some of those means are technological, maybe even many of those means. He was looking at turning the WWII "killingry" industry into a "livingry" industry. Since post WWII was a lot about technology, then I guess that his approach was technological. He also talked about "change the environment, change the man." An example is a family on edge because of the bill that they need to pay, a big on being mortgage. Then a kid runs in the room, breaks a vase and the parent smacks the kid. Remove those pressures on the family then maybe the interaction with the broken vase is different. So he thought about housing. Good, cheap appropriate housing -- just one of the ways to change the environment.

Paul K