permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Bucky Fuller, interesting Usenet newsgroups

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michele May" <mmay.lmft@cox.net>
  • To: <john@eco-living.net>, "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Bucky Fuller, interesting Usenet newsgroups
  • Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:13:20 -0400

You wrote:

"It's not about "the politicians," and it's not about technology.
IMO that was one of Fuller's blind spots - he, too, seemed to believe
that our technology could somehow save us from ourselves.

John Schinnerer - MA, Whole Systems Design"

Dear John:

>From my point of view having started as an environmentalist then turning
to become a family therapist...I'd say just by judging by your title of
a whole systems design you might approach issues from a whole systems
perspective with regards to any given individual.

There are a myriad of factors that lead to the creation of environment
disrespecting perspectives. From a whole systems approach, politicians
and corporations have contributed to the cycle. Just to touch the tip
of the iceberg, they afflict attitudes through policy, disrespecting
people as workers and through disrespecting communities that work to
protect themselves from its polluting corporate members. And yes, one
could say mega-corporations do work hard to impact the quality of public
education and life in a given community, by not paying taxes and getting
rebates that are sorely needed by the community, never mind the
politicians that cut those deals and then fail to hold the companies
accountable for extremely high salaries, dividends/"loans" to board
members, and ultimately for sending jobs overseas even when they have
increased their profit margin.

Sending jobs overseas, fast track, NAFTA, etc., doesn't help communities
and that sure was the work of politicians and corporations. I think you
ignore the big picture! Whole communities haven fallen apart and the
next thing we have are the oppressed/depressed people left behind. How
do you think they feel? I'm not excusing the poor acts of individuals,
though it may sound that way, I want to point out that the only thing
that has been trickling down from many a failed economic rationale is
want and anger.

I cannot believe what I have learned reading up on US farm history and
the breaking of the small farmer at the hands of the corporate
agribusiness/central banks for political reasons as well as monetary
gain; just look at all those interlocking directorates. It still occurs
today!

Michele