msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR and Helmets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR and Helmets
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:55:03 -0500

There are only two criteria for a helmet—is it compliant with the requisite standards (ASTM or British), and does it fit.  If it doesn’t comply it is not a helmet but a hat and if doesn’t fit it won’t protect and you won’t wear it either. Price really doesn’t matter if the helmet is compliant, I use Troxel EQ at around $50 each. I have an International which was given to me as a present but I don’t wear it for “work” because it is black felt outer surface and not very visible in poaching country.

Irv Lichtenstein