msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Natural Cadaver Horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Phyllis Forrest" <pforrest@lakemetroparks.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Natural Cadaver Horses
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:59:45 -0400

Very interesting...
I have had horses "alert" on cadavers quite noticably as well. Years ago
myself and another Ranger were working a creek bed in search of a suicidal
male, and my horse absolutely refused to go up a small waterfall we had
climbed many times before. He threw a fit and spun, almost dumping me in
the creek. Right away I knew something was up-and sure enough, the deceased
subject was just above us around the bend. Had another similar incident in
a wooded area, years later, on a different horse. The lesson-pay attention
to your mount.

Sgt. P Forrest
Lake Metroparks Ranger Department
Lake County, Ohio