msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Natural Cadaver Horses

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Natural Cadaver Horses
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 10:57:24 -0600

Tracks can tell you so much!

This past winter New Mexico Orienteers held a ski-O/foot-O (not
enough snow, bummer!) in the spectacular Valles Caldera National
Preserve. One particular control (orange and white wind sock)
was hung near where a game trail exited woods to meadow. I was
one of the first to do the course including that control, early
that morning. In the snow I found fresh tracks of multiple elk.
Most tracks made a beeline toward the control, to about 10 or 15
feet from it, then a very accurate half circle detour centered
on it, then continued away from it into the meadow. But one set
of tracks went right up to the control. None of the tracks were
consistent with indifference or inattention.