msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] msar credentials and info

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] msar credentials and info
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:06:27 -0400

As one who has been in search since 1979 and has met many of the people who
brought air scent dogs to the US practice (and other specialties as well)
you must carefully examine everybody's credentials and teaching style, and
how their organization operates to determine what interaction, if any you
want with them.

Do they use 3rd party (independent) certification? Do they use state or
national standards from a reputable standards organization? Do they have the
organization and organizational skills to actually operate?

For a long time around here a dog team with over 10 handlers was a rarity
and few mixed air scent with tracking. Most teams that small lack the
critical mass and infrastructure to function in the field. They lack
radios, maps, the ability to brief and debrief and internal support skills.
Most lack a formal organization and insurance or dispatch services.

In the year since several riders decided to form SE PA SAR we have recruited
15 volunteers, including 2 state certified search managers, at least 12 are
long distance riders with trailers and necessary equipment, obtained the use
of 10 VHF portables and spare batteries, obtained support agreements from
the county government for use of the comm van and other services, and are
working on a dispatch and pager agreement. It once took 10 years to get that
far. Our instructors are state certified fires service personnel using
course material previously reviewed and approved for SAR. Our next training
is by TLAER courtesy of the Commonwealth (at least they said they would pay
for it). And along the way we became incorporated, tax exempt, and insured.