msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] msar credentials and info

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: T'mi Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] msar credentials and info
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 17:37:47 -0400

Nope, none of them have been on a SAR Team. Two are using their US Army Special Forces background, one is a (city) police lieutenant (and upcoming police chief) and the lead instructor is on the VHC Mounted Patrol Team. The lead instructor claims to be one of the instructor for the former Daytona Beach Police Department Mounted Unit, which was disband over a decade ago. DBPD has no records for the ex-unit to confirm his position , but would make that trainer a very young person for any police mounted unit. I've been to the Virginia Horse Center a few times and have never seen such a Mounted Patrol team and have asked several others if they have seen such a team and no one seems to know of one. One person said they thought the lead instructor was a security officer at the Center and who sometimes uses his horse for patrol, but that has not been confirmed yet.

Tomi`

Una Smith wrote:

Tm' Fi wrote:

NONE of the Clinic instructors were certified in SAR and not one of them
had never been a member of a MSAR team.

How about a member of any SAR team? Or even of an orienteering
team? Do they even use any of the published SAR basic skills
training guidelines? (Or our draft ASTM standards for MSAR?)