msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] msar credentials and info

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] msar credentials and info
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 16:05:29 -0600

Sheesh.

I should spell out some other *minimum* experience I would want
in an MSAR instructor:

Experience in trailhead horse camping. (Going to a clinic and
parking the horse in a stall, or in a campground horse pen, does
not count.)

Experience spending the entire night out of doors and away from
the vehicle (ie, not trailhead camping) with no more equipment
and supplies than are in a typical SAR 24hr pack. With or
without the horse.

Experience in obstacle-oriented trail riding. Eg: hunt club,
NATRC or other competitive trail ride organization, at a stretch
endurance riding.

Experience in backcountry riding.

Experience in off-trail riding. Eg, hunt club, point to point,
cattle work, elk or other big game hunting.

Experience in night riding, preferably without any flashlights.

Experience in training at least one horse in skills relevant to
MSAR.