msar-riders - [MSAR] team records during an incident / "ICE" for Rescuers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] team records during an incident / "ICE" for Rescuers
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 23:32:55 -0700

Our Hasty CP is usually the tailgate of my pickup at some remote mountain trailhead. I'm set up so we can plug in 2 laptops and a printer, and go to work. If necessary, we can go mobile and insert via chopper. (Useful in winter when mountain roads are closed.) The Sheriff's Dept. Mobile CP bus might be deployed later - depends on the location and status of the incident.

Does NM have a different process / expectation for Mutual Aid response other than people showing up knowing their team members? IIRC there is an expectation in ICS to provide personnel information to management upon check-in.

Since there isn't any consistent format expectation in SAR, we just take along the electronic files. (If the incident is large enough for Mutual Aid, commonly there is a CP rig with at least 1 computer.) We indicate name, Type (based on the CA Typing system), special training / skill sets / certification, basic emergency information, etc.

In the paper environment some use an ICS form modified for SAR per each responding team - no emergency contact or medical info, but at least the basic skill sets and such are indicated. An example is on http://basarc.org/forms/BASARCForms/ICS211.pdf

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar
Tulare-Kings CERT
www.tk-cert.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>
[...]
Folks, as I've mentioned before, unlike many western states
including California, and like many eastern states, in New
Mexico SAR is not operated out of county sheriff's offices
but instead is a state-wide function. And in the entire state
there is only one paid SAR person. We have no 24hr manned
dispatch office, no records office, no trailer that will be
at every incident. Each of the now over 80 recognized SAR
teams (units) in New Mexico keeps its own records. We take
good care of each other, the old fashioned way: we work as
a team, and we know the people with whom we work.