msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] "ICE" for Rescuers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] "ICE" for Rescuers
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:35:53 -0700

From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>
Jorene Downs wrote:
All SAR personnel should already have an emergency contact on file with
their team / agency.

There should be a form on file. And the file should be easily
available in case of emergency. Hah. Where are your team's
files, Jorene?

The critical info files for all SAR volunteers in the county are on a CD with current PDF copies, complete with photo. I have a copy (I'm the one who keeps the files current), the Sgt./ Ops has a copy, and another copy is filed in Dispatch. At least 1 copy of the CD is always at the CP during an incident. Even if the laptops at the CP go down, we can get the info from Dispatch. Paper originals are kept on file in the Sheriff's Dept. records office. Where are your team's files?

Our SAR ID (always carried in the field) also has critical medical info on the back regarding any meds, allergies, blood type, doctor's contact, etc.

I have a home phone programmed in my own cell
phone for every member of my team...if the member has chosen to
give one. [...]

In addition to the records on CD and in my computer, I have home phone, cell and pager for all SAR team leaders in the county in my cell. THEY have the same contact info in their cell for all their team members.

the First Responder agency has no way to contact your family unless
you carry documentation on your person that hasn't been compromised by the
incident.

Again, some people, for perfectly good reasons, do not want the
First Responder to contact their family ICE. I am one of those
people. At a minimum, I may now edit my cell phone entries to
note ICE do NOT call. Do you all think that will do the trick?

Your choice.

Most people involved in a traffic accident, train wreck, building collapse, etc., would prefer to have a designated POC in the event they end up in the hospital or morgue. If you're conscious, you're likely capable of instructing the First Responders to not make contact with the ICE. However, if you're not conscious and have personal preferences related to your medical care, having someone show up at the hospital with legal documents to indicate your preference or even provide your doctor's name to acquire medical history records would be advantageous. If you're in the morgue, having family discover you're dead by official notification by trained personnel I'd prefer over them wondering / worrying about where I am.

Personal preference. Also this is a decision that I believe should be made jointly with the person who would be indicated as the ICE ... or not. I now have 2 ICE contacts indicated in my cell phone.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar