msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Member Records Confidentiality

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Member Records Confidentiality
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:05:27 -0400

Depending on the state you are in personnel records should be kept under
lock and seal. Additionally, the Privacy Act of 1974 amended applies. Most
teams are a little more casual but the files are in a file cabinet and the
forms are marked private data here (SE PA). You should also be aware that
training records are either personnel data or worse, educational
transcripts. In Pennsylvania I had to shred (and sign that I did) the
College of Education records at Temple University when I worked there that
indicated what year a student was in because their name and student ID was
on the printout. There were 12 numbered paper copies, about 1200 pages each,
3 cycles per year

One problem with the PA state SAR council was they wanted identified
training records from each member team and therefore needed a coerced
release from each member of each member team to avoid violating the law.

Our VFC's NFIRS system has two sets of contacts-- published and unpublished
and they are limited to the member's call back contacts. None of the
emergency contact data in the system is reportable.

irv lichtenstein