msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] "ICE" for Rescuers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] "ICE" for Rescuers
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:24:08 -0400

RFID is fine for a race where you can set up portals along the route, but
the RF exposure has to be measured under federal rules.
EPIRB's are now legal on the 406 Russian system as long as they are
registered but we have already had instances of people calling for help with
them when they were not in danger.
The personal health record has severe privacy issues, well beyond HIPPA
concerns. Essentially, this is an extension of the military's current data
base of active and dependent personnel who are eligible for TRIMIS or
similar benefits. ASTM Committee E31 drafts the data elements and privacy
rules. The idea is if the data is typoed into the system it will be more
accurate than trying to read handwritten notes faxed by your regular doctor
to an emergency room. We have been trying to get doctors to type since at
least 1974 at major teaching hospitals...............

irv lichtenstein