msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] "ICE" for Rescuers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Tm' Fi <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] "ICE" for Rescuers
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 05:50:02 -0400

Hal,
I tend to agree with you and believe the "ICE" concept is a valuable tool for thousands upon thousands of cell phone users. I fully realize that there are some individuals that do not want to release any kind of "ICE" information and also understand that is their right to do so. One nice feature that I like about "ICE concept is that each user can select their own contact person or persons, whether it be a friend, family, medical or religious contact. I have family members who I would NEVER want contacted in the event of emergency and have not listed their contact information anywhere.
With all things considered, "ICE" is simply another investigative tool used by public safety officers to contact the next of kin, for those persons wishing that others be contacted in the event that they themselves can not make the call.
Tomi`
TROT-SAR
Maryland

Hal Sikes wrote:

I believe the families of these folks referred to in the Washington Post article would not share your concerns.

Spurred by 9/11
Several next-of-kin contact systems were set up after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, such as the nonprofit National Next of Kin Registry established in January 2004 that shares information provided to state agencies in the event of an emergency. The registry was set up by Mark Cerney, a disabled Marine who noted that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that in 2003, 900,000 emergency room patients could not provide contact information because they were incapacitated.

Ware said that although there are such databases, some charge as much as $200 a year to register. The ICE initiative is available free to the 192 million cell users in the United States.