msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] "ICE" for Rescuers

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Hal Sikes" <halsikes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] "ICE" for Rescuers
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:39:32 -0700

Una,
I can certainly appreciate your personal feelings as to ICE notifications -
but I believe the families of these folks referred to in the Washington Post
article would not share your concerns.

Spurred by 9/11
Several next-of-kin contact systems were set up after the Sept. 11, 2001,
attacks, such as the nonprofit National Next of Kin Registry established in
January 2004 that shares information provided to state agencies in the event
of an emergency. The registry was set up by Mark Cerney, a disabled Marine
who noted that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that
in 2003, 900,000 emergency room patients could not provide contact
information because they were incapacitated.

Ware said that although there are such databases, some charge as much as
$200 a year to register. The ICE initiative is available free to the 192
million cell users in the United States.

Hal Sikes