msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Consistency in MSAR / horse sense

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Tm' Fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Consistency in MSAR / horse sense
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 22:21:48 -0500

Just to clear up a point of order, the template for Search & Rescue resources HAS already been developed and is NOT in the in the process of producing standards. The NIMS Integration Center developed a National Mutual Aid Glossary of Terms and Definitions as well as Resource Typing Definitions for some of the most commonly used resources during a response. Resource typing is an integral component of the NIMS (FYI:.MSAR is not listed). Anyone can see these typing definitions at :

<http://www.fema.gov/nims/mutual_aid.shtm#glossary>

Once you read the "Minimum Capabilities & Types" you will see the standards and how they are explained. The National Response Plan wants resources to MEET the minimum standards and not to endorse that everyone to exceed them, and no where in the ESF #9 typing will you see a reference to NASAR (much less anything about being SAR Tech-II). As another example, most of us have received far greater training then personnel from with the ranks of the Citizen Corps, which is a level of training that can be obtained in as a little as one weekend.

If MSAR folks want to be considered a SAR resource on a National level, then we as a MSAR Consortium need to work Minimum Typing Standards for ourselves. There are many SAR training resources that almost anyone can take that are both on and off-line with many being free or at minimal cost. It is already a given that written documentation and formal training is the key for success of any team. Our Mounted Team is developing a set of typing standards at this time and once it is completed we will share it with the other MSAR Teams and from what we are looking at now, I would consider our team to be a Type #1 ESF #9 equivalent MSAR resource.

We (MSAR-Riders) are the closest thing to a National MSAR organization and I believe the time has come for us to agree on a basic set of Standards. We do not need PACE, NASAR, VSARC or any other organization to tell us what we need. If we could get a dozen or so MSAR Teams from across the Country to agree as some basic typing standards, then I am sure the FEMA and other private SAR organizations would begin to take notice. Except for the two book that Kathy Robert's has written, very little has been put to paper that can be used as a MSAR National starting point and her books can be used by MSAR Teams nation wide.

Personally, I don't see that happening since we as a group can not even agree if wearing safety helmets on field assignments should be mandatory, even the NASAR-MSAR group could not agree upon this and did not address the topic. As a group we to start thinking outside the box and show that MSAR is a multi-talented resource, then perhaps we can work our way into becoming considered as a National level resource. Please read some of the ESF #9 minimum standards for yourself and see what is already in place working and is Nationally accepted.

Happy holidays to all!

Tomi` Finkle
TROT Search & Rescue Mounted Team
State of Maryland

Jorene Downs wrote:

The lack of consistency in MSAR is a nationwide handicap for those who are serious about MSAR. However, MSAR (and SAR in general) is now moving toward consistency, and the transition is impacted by several factors.

At the federal level, FEMA is producing Typing standards for emergency/disaster response, and have included Typing of several SAR resources. SAR is perceived as good potential cross-training with basic disaster response. NASAR is now associated with Citizen Corps at the natiounal level. So the SAR industry is now on the FEMA radar. There is now an expectation that the SAR community will fall into line with volunteer disaster resources by using ICS, etc. That includes defining some national standards, and having methods for certification.

The direction of the SAR industry is to expect *all* SAR personnel to have basic ground SAR training. (Example, NASAR SARTECH II.) Then add any specialty training (SAR Dog, MSAR, technical rescue, etc.) This creates a common foundation of training for all in SAR, giving the SAR community more consistency and credibility as resources. This will include creating far more credibility in MSAR for those who seek to meet/exceed the pending national standards.