msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Consistency in MSAR / horse sense

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Consistency in MSAR / horse sense
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:22:00 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "David C. Kovar" <kovar@1srg.org>

2) I suspect that the SAR community is more aware of ICS than the volunteer
disaster resources. They might be falling in line with us on that point. <<

Basic ICS is taught in CERT. Going forward I suspect other trained volunteers will have basic ICS added to their training, but much depends on their anticipated function. I'm also aware of regions around the country where ICS is a new idea, so I don't think ICS is / was predominant in SAR.

3) I don't think canine SAR is moving quickly towards any sort of national
standard or consistency. Have you looked at how different the canine
standards are for different teams across the country? <<

K9 SAR is already indicated in FEMA Typing, which will hopefully finally provide a common ground for that resource.

I don't see a lot of hope for ground SAR in this regard, either. This is
mostly due to dramatic differences in geography - what is appropriate in the
swamps of Florida might get you killed in the mountains of Colorado and vice
versa. If you reduce the standards to meet the lowest common denominators
for both environments you get something that is very weak. <<

I suspect that is why they are referred to as "mimimum" standards. Provide the common ground, then add training specific to the more extreme environments. I think SAR needs to be more aware of the differences in terrain, and also address being prepared for the extreme weather conditions.

4) If we don't organize ourselves, someone will eventually do it for us.
Better to approach the people who are likely to call us out with something
that we can deliver on and meets their needs than have them decide what's
required. <<

Agreed!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs