msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Consistency in MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Consistency in MSAR
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 16:21:37 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>
Jorene Downs wrote:
This is why I tend to use "meet/exceed" in reference to standards ... to
encourage people to go beyond the basics. Complacency in "I have the skills
I need" isn't a good mindset for SAR/MSAR - there is always more to learn.

In a training context, emphasizing the "go beyond" message
encourages only those who are bored with their current level
of involvement. IME in all venues those are a minority, so
although intended to encourage, this emphasis may actually
DIScourage people.

From a SAR/MSAR instructor's perspective, my perception is people get bored
if you're not sharing something new with them. ;)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar