msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Consistency in MSAR / horse sense

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Consistency in MSAR / horse sense
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:23:11 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "MSAR Maintainer" <msar@ibiblio.org>
Jorene Downs wrote in reply to Tomi' Finkle:
Dunno about you, but I always recommend exceeding minimum
requirements in training. Much safer - and a more effective resource
- if you have more than the bare bones training. ;)

Uh, Jorene, you do know about Tomi'. Not only has she been
on MSAR-Riders longer than you have, she wrote the TROT SAR
training standard that is a model for so many of our teams.

Yes, I've even met her in person. ;)

I am with Tomi' on this. Exceeding minumum standards would
be good but our most immediate goal should be getting all
our teams, and all members of our teams, up to the minimum.
That is the NIMS mandate.

Keep in perspective that in order exceed minimum standards you first need to establish minimum standards. We're on the same page. All I'm saying is while it isn't mandatory to exceed minimum standards, it is certainly recommended. Ongoing education and pursuing additional skills I consider very important, particularly when someone's life may depend on the skills you can provide. This is why I tend to use "meet/exceed" in reference to standards ... to encourage people to go beyond the basics. Complacency in "I have the skills I need" isn't a good mindset for SAR/MSAR - there is always more to learn.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar