msar-riders - [MSAR] horse sense

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Kevin Stokes" <klstokes@qwest.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] horse sense
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 19:58:19 -0800

There has been discussion recently about air scenting horses - again. This is worthy of discussion.
I met Terry Nowacki about two and a half years ago. I talked to him about a minute before I mentally filed him in the category of friend. We had been working on learning our horses' alerts. This was a new idea to us - something we had heard about and had been noticing. When I saw Terry's demonstration I was amazed, but somehow not surprized.
Our horses' senses have been honed by millions of years of being a prey species. They know a lot more about what is going on in the world than this city boy.
I'm not working on training my horse for air scenting. My sweetheart is 25. My young on is kind of a ....well, lets move on. I am a big supporter and cheerleader for air scenting horses.
As most horse in my group are "pet" horses, a big concern is sensory training. By pet horses I mean horses who are not working horses, ones who don't get ridden every day.
Our horses' instincts are honed by millions of years of not particularly wanting to be a prey species.
So we try to take the edge off their instincts with sensory training. I won't use the terms "despooking", or "desensitizing". If something were to happen, imaging what a lawyer would say if your horse were despooked, or desensitized! It is a terminology thing which bugs me.
If I were less tired, I would remember the point all this was headed to. I'd better stop rambling.
Kevin Stokes
Washington Co Sheriff's Mounted Patrol (MN)