msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Consistency in MSAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Consistency in MSAR
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:36:48 -0700

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 11:02:15PM -0500, Tm' Fi wrote:
>I am just throwing this out there and was wondering how many team or
>team representatives use in depth standards in place.

My team has a horse and rider standards document with 3 levels
of competence. Unfortunately, in the past year or so much of
it has been dismissed by our training officers as too detailed
for the new recruits and too basic for the old hands. In any
case, to "complicated". Sigh. I can take on only so many jobs
at one time. Also, I see our training officers' point; it is
the same one I made elsewhere in this thread. Showing newbies
how extremely long a training path they have ahead of them can
be highly demoralizing. You can show them this and not scare
them off only when the team has in place an ongoing, effective,
progressive training program, so that the newbies can make (and
can see they are making) rapid progress. Our training program
at this point is close to nil, by happenstance. This is a part
of the normal life cycle of any small organization.

> Personally, I consider this
>group to be the equivalent of a National MSAR consortium. I know of no
>other group that has such a diversified core group of professionals from
>so many different States and regions of this Country.

Yes, MSAR-Riders is where it's at. Some subscribers would like
me to incorporate us into a national organization. But I have
to tell you, our community is small and although incorporation
can be done on a tiny budget it does require some money and a
lot of hours of careful work. So I'd rather not go that way if
it can be helped.

What you all can do is spread the word. Tell other MSAR folks
about MSAR-Riders (most have no idea we exist), help them to
subscribe, and speak up. Be heard.

Thanks,