msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Gps units used by NCS SAR

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Lois Guyon <laguyon2@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Gps units used by NCS SAR
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:47:50 -0800 (PST)

Thanks for everyone's tips on purchase of the GPS units.  As for the funding, we are applying to a new Illinois program that grants to Illinois equine education, research and promotion projects.  The funds come from a checkoff in which 5 cents per 50 lb bag of horse feed is assessed. Other states have equine check-off programs.  Check with your state Department of Agriculture to see if you have a similar program.  They will probably know.  I have been looking for funding sources and do not find many.

Lois Guyon
Member
LaSalle County, Illinois
Sheriff's Mounted Search and Rescue Posse

Chris Brouwers <mechanic@TDPUD.ORG> wrote:
Before you buy!!

We have purchased our's directly through Garmin (Steve Lovell) and saved
lot $$$ Under Search and Rescue.
We are generally purchasing the Rino 120 and looking at the new Rino
130 because of their communications abilities.
The Rino 110 do not have enough onboard memory to store Topo Maps.
steve.lovell@garmin.com (913) 397-8200 ex1700
http://www.garmin.com/products/rino120/
http://www.garmin.com/products/rino130/

Is your source of funding available to other search and rescue groups.
Please let myself and Bonnie Elster know.

Thanks Chris Brouwers
Truckee Citizen Liaison
Nevada County Sheriff S.A.R