msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Extended Search Solved.

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Extended Search Solved.
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:38:11 -0600

Terry Nowacki wrote:
>SAR would benefit if MSAR trained more to cover large areas
>in a short amount of time vs only training for line searches
>or small area searches.

Terry, I don't know any MSAR teams first hand that only train
for line searches or small area searches. Is that the norm
in your area?

We do a fair amount of grid searching during joint training
missions, but on most searches we run trails and cut sign,
both on and off trail. My own field team usually is given
off-trail assignments, and our "trails" frequently are of a
quality that endurance race riders call "technical". That
is, where ATVs and 4x4s cannot go. So most of our training
rides are focussed on getting horses and riders comfortable
with wilderness riding conditions. Santa Fe is a city on
the flanks of a mountainous national forest, hence our main
challenge is crossing the urban/wilderness interface, and
many of our new recruits have limited experience riding out
of arenas and off roads or groomed, designated horse trails.