msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: [SAR-L] Mounted SAR Standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Discussion list for Search and Rescue <sar-l@ml.islandnet.com>
  • Cc: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: [SAR-L] Mounted SAR Standards
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:44:32 -0600

Jorene Downs wrote on SAR-L:
>ASTM will have the international Mounted SAR standards. NASAR will have a
>Mounted SARTECH certification program.

As Jorene knows, I think this is exactly the right way to do things.
In the Oct/Nov issue of SAR Professional (insert in Advanced Rescue
Technology), there is a short article by Jacki Golike (NASAR's Exec
Dir) announcing that NASAR has ceased developing standards, passing
the job to ASTM.

Jacki also writes "Presumably, standards develop from a combination
of curricula and credentials." I think Jacki has it 180^o backward.
Standards should develop from our accumulated wisdom and experience,
and reflect the best possible practices. Credentials should reflect
attainment of knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA) that meet or
exceed a specific standard, and curricula should be designed to help
students attain those specific KSA. This is why I argued strongly
last year that the MSAR standard, then being developed by NASAR, must
not include a requirement that the candidate pass a NASAR exam nor
take a NASAR course. A standard that does not stand on its own legs
is not a standard.

I hope to participate in the ASTM work, if my Real Job permits it.