msar-riders - [MSAR] RE: [SAR-L] Re: [MSAR,SAR-L] Mounted SAR Standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "David C. Kovar" <kovar@1srg.org>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>, "'Discussion list for Search and Rescue'" <sar-l@ml.islandnet.com>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [MSAR] RE: [SAR-L] Re: [MSAR,SAR-L] Mounted SAR Standards
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:47:18 -0700

Greetings,

Any SAR resource deployed in the field should be able to function at a
minimal and common level that is understood by the management team. Ideally
this would apply to helicopter crew, MSAR teams, canine teams, etc.

As a generalization, everyone in the military can function as infantry. In
SAR, everyone should be able to function as a ground pounder. Certainly
there are exceptions to this but if we set the bar high and aim for it we'll
be better off than if we set the bar low and make it.

I helped Jorene's team with a carryout a few months back. Two of the people
on my six person team were canine handlers who willingly put their canine
partners up and deployed as generic ground resources. Their "can do"
attitude was quite welcome and very much appreciated.

It would be very frustrating to need ground resources for a carry out, have
six mounted resources available but be told "I'm sorry, we're not trained to
operate as a ground resource."

Ground pounding really is the common denominator. At the very least,
everyone should go through common training so terminology and methods are
well understood.

"Semper Gumby." (Always flexible.) - Unknown

-David