msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: [MSAR,SAR-L] Mounted SAR Standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Discussion list for Search and Rescue <sar-l@ml.islandnet.com>
  • Cc: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: [MSAR,SAR-L] Mounted SAR Standards
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:26:52 -0600

Jorene Downs wrote:
>Mounted SAR is being addressed as a specialty - the rider is still expected
>to be trained in ground SAR.
[...]
>Using this approach, Mounted SAR standards will include a requirement of
>meeting/exceeding ground SAR standards.

>From the point of view of developing standards, that's fine; one
standard can depend on another standard.

>From the point of view of many MSAR teams, unfortunately that may
be a real problem in that meeting a ground SAR standard will be a
challenge. But I am all for it; the minimum qualifications for
MSAR should be comparable to minimum qualifications for any basic
SAR resource.

I have set Reply-To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org