msar-riders - [MSAR] Others working around/with horse teams

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Others working around/with horse teams
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:52:54 -0600

On SAR-L, Kim Gilmore wrote:
>Wondering if those ground teams that have an Equine component can drop me a
>line. I am most interested right now in SOP's of your Equine team,
>certifying operational standards for both rider/horse and expectations in
>terms of proficiency/knowledge of your general searchers when working
>around/with the horse teams.
>
>Thanks
>

>Kim Gilmore, RN
>NW Montana, USA
>Flathead Co. SAR ( http://www.flatheadsar.com )
>North Valley Rescue
>1-SRG ( http://www.1srg.org )
>FC TF-1 ( http://www.digisys.net/oes/hazlepc.html )
>
>"As I grow older, I pay less attention to what people say. I just watch what
>they do." -Andrew Carnegie

MSAR-Riders has discussed operational standards (and certifying
riders and horses to those standards) but we have not discussed
the second part of Kim's query: what do we expect of other SAR
folks working around/with horse teams. But this is a subject I
cover in my MSAR course, and in conversation with non-MSAR folk
so I think it might be useful for us all to explore the subject
here.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico