msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] RE: [SAR-L] Consistent standards / Mounted SAR Standards

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Discussion list for Search and Rescue" <sar-l@ml.islandnet.com>, "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] RE: [SAR-L] Consistent standards / Mounted SAR Standards
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:06:42 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
From: "David C. Kovar" <kovar@1srg.org>
Could you provide references supporting your statement that NASAR was
included in the nationwide callout for the hurricane response? <<

NASAR personnel were asked by FEMA to coordinate through their local Citizen Corps Council. I know some responded because I saw "NASAR" indicated under the "What Organization?" section on the personnel printout from both FEMA and the State of CA showing who responded.

Perhaps I should clarify that I coordinated hurricane response for Citizen Corps for a 2 county operational area in CA. Citizen Corps Administrative Assistant / Citizen Corps Council in Tulare and Kings Counties is another hat I wear. ;) So I had the records from CA and FEMA to refer to regarding that FEMA call-out through Citizen Corps. I happened to notice NASAR indicated several times on the CA list. The majority were CERT.

This disaster call-out was also an historic first nationwide by FEMA through Citizen Corps. Now that precedent has been set, I anticipate FEMA will be more likely to consider calling up trained volunteers as disaster resources.

This usage of trained volunteers as disaster resources wasn't completely unexpected - at least, not by me - since reference to using CERT / trained volunteers exists in several disaster pre-planning documents that have been emerging from Dept. of Homeland Security over the past couple of years.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare SAR - Hasty Team ICP Team
www.ceoates.com/sar