msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Struggling in New Mexico

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Edususan@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Struggling in New Mexico
  • Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 11:22:34 EDT

hi una!  great to hear from you!
thanks for your insight, as usual.
we actually have made some progress in many areas.  susan washburn is also with the canine unit, so very involved with the team in general and has respect as a member other than mounted team.  she is available to ride my horse "cash", or i am.
i also have my endurance arabian, and another member, ron boortz has a nice mustang who is really doing well.  we train every week.   i am a seasoned ems professional and have been active with team coordination and training and am working closely with the board so that they know our capabilities to pass on to FC.   we had one very successful mission where my horse was able to pull a litter up a steep mountain trail at night and then since it was so evident that he never slipped and the litter team did, the patient requested to ride down on the horse.  we would have been there until dawn and would have risked dropping her much more than leading her on a proven sure footed mount.  so we are making progress. but the FC's likely do not have us on the list, so that is a first step.  i know our board is feeling comfortable that we will not do something foolish and venture into a situation we are not prepared with, so that is good.  and you are correct that FC's in this area are not comfortable, no matter what the level of the mounted team, as evidenced by their hesitation to use other teams too.  so, we will continue to learn.  i was simply hoping for more information about use of mounted teams so that we can use it to grow and educate other TSAR members, and being seasoned, they will pass on to FCs with confidence about appropriate dispatch of MSAR teams.   Anything you can send our way will be much appreciated. Thanks, Susan.

  • Re: [MSAR] Struggling in New Mexico, Edususan, 10/05/2004