msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:41:04 -0600

Chris wrote:
>Could you clarify what you mean by the above? I have been rather pleased
>that instead of separately creating MSAR standards that may or may not
>pertain to the "real" world the NASAR team members have asked those of
>us actually in the field to contribute via our expertise.

I am not Tomï, but as I understand it...

The issue is that Tomï is the author of the TROTSAR standard,
which is the most detailed existing MSAR standard I have found
anywhere. That standard has been adopted formally in Maryland
and informally in Virginia. Now, Jorene has said the NASAR
MSAR committee is working from several existing standards,
all of which are freely shared, including Tomï's. But NASAR
plans a rather proprietary standard. This has the appearance
(if not fact) of more "take" than "give".

Those of us in NASAR's market areas can expect some "give" in
return, in the form of training (for those in need of basic
training) and a credential; for those of us elsewhere, there
is no such expectation.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico