msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:59:53 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Una Smith" <una@lanl.gov>
> Jorene wrote:
> >Many MSAR teams won't have someone already on the team who is qualified
> >provide any rider training instruction, but how do you get that point
across
> >to those teams?

> First, I think it is inappropriate to have certification
> evaluations performed by a member of the unit, so this
> problem would apply only to training in preparation for
> an evaluation by an outside evaluator.

Agreed.

> Second, given a list of specific tasks that the students
> must learn and perform to satisfaction, it is very easy
> to tell on the ground who can teach and who cannot teach.
> An outside agency does not need to get this point across
> to anyone; it will be self evident. I would even go so
> far as to say an outside agency is not in a position to
> judge who can and cannot teach any given unit. Here let
> the students judge for themselves.

I suppose the realistic solution is to wait until the team lacking good
riding skills brings in the outside evaluator for testing, when they'll find
out how they are perceived. And make sure there are clear standards
regarding the qualifications of that evaluator. However, any team with sense
will see the standards for the evaluator and have a good idea of whether
they'll need outside training prior to testing. So your response just
prodded my thinking and generated a possible solution to be considered when
the committee reaches that point in discussion. Thanks!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs, Committee Chair
NASAR MSAR Standards Committee
visit NASAR on www.nasar.org