msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 08:13:11 -0600

Jorene wrote:
>Many MSAR teams won't have someone already on the team who is qualified to
>provide any rider training instruction, but how do you get that point across
>to those teams?

First, I think it is inappropriate to have certification
evaluations performed by a member of the unit, so this
problem would apply only to training in preparation for
an evaluation by an outside evaluator.

Second, given a list of specific tasks that the students
must learn and perform to satisfaction, it is very easy
to tell on the ground who can teach and who cannot teach.
An outside agency does not need to get this point across
to anyone; it will be self evident. I would even go so
far as to say an outside agency is not in a position to
judge who can and cannot teach any given unit. Here let
the students judge for themselves.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico