msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 18:14:06 -0400

I agree with both on to a point.  However, the main reasons there are instructors and evaluators, are to maintain minimum performance expectations and training levels, which are taught and tested.   Both positions are those of authority and professional creditably is of utmost importance!  If any trainer or evaluator can not say “ I am sorry, but you did not pass this exercise and will have to repeat at another time” then they should be removed from their position.

During my career as Federal emergency responder, it is common practice for agencies to certify their own professionals, providing established guidelines were met.  The most important member of any Team is the person working in the field.  That person's ability to perform, is a direct reflection on their overall training  program.

Is it possible that a NASAR-MSAR evaluator could pass someone who is having a bad day?  Yes it is.  Trainers and evaluators are human and can feel the natural urge to give as person are break, even those who are with NASAR or FEMA. What will happen in a few years when teams have their own certified personnel, where will we get “Outside Evaluators.

Having outside evaluators is not the answer.  The implementation of penalties and holding trainers and evaluators accountable for their professional actions and demeanor is in order, regardless of whose hat there are wearing.  Not all teams have a trainer named Bubba, some actually have dedicated trained professionals who take their job seriously.

Until the Federal government steps in to intervene and assigns an agency the task of overseeing search & rescue operations (other than the Air Force), then I feel that, NASAR is to Search & Rescue, as the Red Cross is to First Aide and both organizations are simply recognized as experts in the field, but “not” the sole authority for the field.  I am ICS trained by FEMA and understand that they are not in the position to dictate standards for organizations that are outside their control.   If NASAR wants to have standards for MSAR personnel then that is great!  However, they need to go out and do it on their own, and stop taking the best from any team they can find, with the intentions of calling it their own.

Tomï Finkle
Charles County Maryland

wwfarm wrote:
Una wrote;

Unfortunately, it is a very real problem.  Even someone who
means well and has experience conducting evaluations will have
a hard time resisting the natural urge to give people the
benefit of a doubt (cut them slack).  It is especially difficult
when the evaluator knows the rider and horse are having a bad
day.  They have been known to do task X, but they fail during
the evaluation.  Should they pass anyway, or not?

I strongly agree. After working with different Posses  I have seen same team member evaluators past horse / rider teams that never could pass a test by a outside evaluator.
Outside evaluators would make everyone train harder and the whole team would benefit in the long run.