msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 08:49:39 -0600

Again, we are concerned with evaluators, not instructors.

Chris wrote:
>Somewhere there has to be a solution to the not enough
>evaluators VS inexperienced or pressured evaluators.

Here again I will draw from my experience with polo in the
US. Polo arena games require 2 umpires, field games require
2 umpires and a referee. For official tournament games, the
umpires/referee must be certified at a handicap level that
meets or exceeds the handicap level of the average player
in the game, and they are *re*-certified on an annual basis,
just as all players' handicaps are reviewed annually. Of
course, there are never enough umpires to go around. This
problem is addressed most effectively by holding umpire
clinics; these are partly funded by Polo Training Foundation,
a non-profit foundation dedicated to training umpires (among
other beneficial activities along similar lines).

http://www.us-polo.org/
http://us-polo.org/ptf/index.htm

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico