msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: tm-fi <TFinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Identifying NASAR MSAR Instructors
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:19:13 -0400

Yes, currently there are similar procedures in place for public service professionals, at local, state and federal levels, through-out this Country.  For those of you in public service you may know of this procedure as trail board.

Generally a Trail Board consists of 3 members, one (non-involved) official from the parent Unit and two officials from neighboring units or organizations.  When misconduct is alleged, the trail board performs a fact finding mission.  Facts are facts, you do not need to be a horse person to know, that if 6 people say horse X rears every time at the site of flashing red lights, yet the trainer or evaluators documented "remains calm" there is a problem somewhere.  Could six team members lie, yes.  However, I have seen such Boards bring in the horse X and Flashing Red Lights and re-create the testing exercise.   Once the red lights flash and Horse X walks on two leg, how would you vote?

Our Team members are instructed that if misconduct is noted to report the information to either our Team Commander or Assistant Commander (this also applies to misconduct of outside Teams).  Should such misconduct is noted, our members are instructed to treat this situation as confidential.  Rumors can kill any team!

Example Standard:  All trainers and evaluators shall strictly follow goals, objectives and training requirements of all MSAR personnel under their control while conducting their official duties.  Failure to strictly follow and fairly administer/adhere to academic or performance guidelines, shall result in disciplinary action and/or removal from said position.

Reporting example: (Back when we talked about "yahoos")  Lets say you were on a search and observed such as person during a search.  Keep in mind that all MSAR personnel respond at the request of a responsible authority!  Well, someone on that "Yahoos" team the person had passed that rider as meeting their teams standards.  You, as a professional, need go to the Incident Commander and report your allegations and findings.  That Commander will investigate your allegations.  If the investigations yields, the entire Team is not qualified for MSAR duty, what do you think that Commander and her/his Government officials will want done to correct the problem.

Until a suggested set of "nationally accepted" MSAR standards are written, "ALL" MSAR-Rider teams can adopt a similar policy immediately.  We have the power to police our own and can do it starting today!  Simply make sure to submit the attachment to your local or regional SAR/OEM agency.

Is this a perfect solution, nope.  However, knowing that an outside influence (2/3 in fact) will come from other SAR professionals, will help keep the checks and balances system in order.

I will assist any team in setting up such a trial board procedure.  Again, this is simply my suggestion.

Tomï

Una Smith wrote:
Tomi wrote:

                                             The implementation of
penalties and holding trainers and evaluators accountable for their
professional actions and demeanor is in order, regardless of whose hat
there are wearing.

This would be the ideal, if it were possible to implement,
but how to do so is not clear to me.  Do you have specific
ideas?

In a highly distributed system such as we have for SAR, how
do you implement penalties?  What would the penalties consist
of?  Who would be responsible for holding instructors and
evaluators accountable, and determining who deserves penalty?

	Una Smith
	Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico