internetworkers - Re: Decoding the Bobos -- two great books

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "saundrakaerubel.com" <saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Decoding the Bobos -- two great books
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:34:29 -0700

Good work Heather. Thanks so much for posting that article. I am glad David
Brooks wrote the book. It does spark conversation and give banter for
cocktail parties, where everyone is in jeans and tshirts >insert big
hahahaha here<

Now the real question is:
What's a Wellspring?
Saundra

At 12:19 PM 09/11/2000 -0400, you wrote:
>Well, Saundra, here's a link to an interview with the author of _Bobos
>in Paradise_.:
>
>http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/interviews/ba2000-06-15.htm
>
>I think that the author gives a fairly well balanced summary of his
>book in this interview. He seems to be saying that while many "bobos"
>have retained leftest and/or artistic sympathies, they have no trouble
>reconciling them with spending the gross national product of
>Azerbaijan on the perfect kitchen. On one hand, bobos are probably
>more aware of social and class issues than your garden variety yuppie.
>On the other hand, they may or may not be any more likely to try and
>do anything about these issues. For example, I've got my own personal
>leftest sympathies, but I'm *really* glad you can get whole bean
>Sumatran coffee at Wellspring (even at $10/lb.+).
>
>Heather V.

Saundra Kae Rubel saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com
This is Silicon Valley: If you don't like the technology,
go out and make some of your own.

The Information Philanthropist
http://www.saundrakaerubel.com