internetworkers - Decoding the Bobos -- two great books

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Linda Watson <linda.watson AT Egarden.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Decoding the Bobos -- two great books
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:08:22 -0400

As an electronic conversation starter for tonight's pow-wow --

I've just finished Neal Stephenson's "Cryptonomicron" and am 2/3s of the way through David Brooks's "Bobos in Paradise: The New Upper Class and How They Got There." I wish I'd read them in the opposite order, though, since the folks in Cryptonomicron are SO Bobo!

So, what are your thoughts on (to quote the Amazon review) "the bourgeois bohemians--'Bobos' --an unlikely blend of mainstream culture and 1960s-era counterculture that, according to David Brooks, represents both America's present and future: 'These Bobos define our age. They are the new establishment. Their hybrid culture is the atmosphere we all breathe. Their status codes now govern social life.'"

If you don't have an opinion, you can easily disguise this by saying something unintelligible, which we will all just take as an encrypted message.

Cheers, Linda

trade shows in New Orleans, because music matters
http://www.egarden.com/jobs.html

*********** the lawn & garden industry's online markeplace *****