internetworkers - Re: Decoding the Bobos -- two great books

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "saundrakaerubel.com" <saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>, linda.watson AT Egarden.com
  • Subject: Re: Decoding the Bobos -- two great books
  • Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 15:33:07 -0700

Hi

This will probably start a flame war. But I am entitled to my well formed
opinion based on what I see here in CA, and how it has changed in 40 years.

I am reading Bobos Now, and I live with the Bobos in Silicon Valleydise.
Yeah well, they wear t-shirts and jeans and have no social skills or social
sense. I really do not mind the t-shirts, but not at a dinner party. And I
prefer to dine with people who know how to eat. I wish they all had some
semblance of manners. But then I am from another generation where you cared
about your appearance and other such oh-so establishment things.
Having money does not mean you have class or taste. Just because they can
buy a 2 million dollar mansion for cash and not furnish it as a 'Statement',
says to me, they are strange. (in Silly Valley, 2 million will get you a
fixer upper - see http://www.saundrakaerubel.com/house.jpg for what $675,000
buys you - not my house thank you)

I hate what Silicon Valley has become and thus am moving to North Carolina in
two months. I guess I am a TechnoAristocrat.

try reading the Talmud and the Internet also, another short read.

Oh boy, I can see the flame war now.........

At 04:08 PM 09/07/2000 -0400, Linda Watson wrote:
>As an electronic conversation starter for tonight's pow-wow --
>
>I've just finished Neal Stephenson's "Cryptonomicron" and am 2/3s of the way
>through David Brooks's "Bobos in Paradise: The New Upper Class and How They
>Got There." I wish I'd read them in the opposite order, though, since the
>folks in Cryptonomicron are SO Bobo!
>
>So, what are your thoughts on (to quote the Amazon review) "the bourgeois
>bohemians--'Bobos' --an unlikely blend of mainstream culture and 1960s-era
>counterculture that, according to David Brooks, represents both America's
>present and future: 'These Bobos define our age. They are the new
>establishment. Their hybrid culture is the atmosphere we all breathe. Their
>status codes now govern social life.'"
>
>If you don't have an opinion, you can easily disguise this by saying
>something unintelligible, which we will all just take as an encrypted
>message.
>
>Cheers, Linda
>

>*********** Egarden.com *********************************************
>
> trade shows in New Orleans, because music matters
> http://www.egarden.com/jobs.html
>
>*********** the lawn & garden industry's online markeplace *****
>

>---
>Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!
>http://metalab.unc.edu/internetworkers/
>You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as:
>saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com

Saundra Kae Rubel saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com
This is Silicon Valley: If you don't like the technology,
go out and make some of your own.

The Information Philanthropist
http://ww.saundrakaerubel.com