internetworkers - Re: Decoding the Bobos -- two great books

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Valli.Heather" <valli AT niehs.nih.gov>
  • To: "'InterNetWorkers'" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Decoding the Bobos -- two great books
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 12:19:53 -0400

Well, Saundra, here's a link to an interview with the author of _Bobos
in Paradise_.:

http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/interviews/ba2000-06-15.htm

I think that the author gives a fairly well balanced summary of his
book in this interview. He seems to be saying that while many "bobos"
have retained leftest and/or artistic sympathies, they have no trouble
reconciling them with spending the gross national product of
Azerbaijan on the perfect kitchen. On one hand, bobos are probably
more aware of social and class issues than your garden variety yuppie.
On the other hand, they may or may not be any more likely to try and
do anything about these issues. For example, I've got my own personal
leftest sympathies, but I'm *really* glad you can get whole bean
Sumatran coffee at Wellspring (even at $10/lb.+).

Heather V.