homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fiber

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fiber
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 13:40:10 -0400

You can do this with broccoli, too...
Cut up the head of cauliflower into small pieces. It is easiest to cut off the florets, but try to cut it in a way that allows multiple flat surfaces for contact with a pan. I cut mine down into approximately one inch pieces. Place into a bowl or bag and add a bit of oil-canola or vegetable or whatever floats your boat. Add a bit of lemon juice, maybe a teaspoon, and then add as many cloves of garlic as you like, the more the better, and some crushed red peppers and/or small whole peppers. You can also add onions or cherry tomatoes or whatever other veggies you want to add, but I generally don't. Toss veggies in oil and seasonings. Spread on a cookie sheet or shallow aluminum pan(the aluminum pan works great on the grill) and sprinkle with Kosher salt or sea salt or other course ground salt and toast/roast/bake for about 20-30 minutes(depending on how crunchy you like it) at 400-410F degrees. Shake pan at least once during cooking.

I know people who said they hated cauliflower and broccoli, but like this. Cooking broccoli and cauliflower this way instead of boiling or steaming keeps all the good stuff in the food, not in the water. One large head of cauliflower has 21g of fiber(broccoli has 16g), and trust me, you will eat the whole thing. It goes great with all meats and as a snack-the garlic is divine, too. Nothing is wasted, the stalks taste just as good as the florets. You can mix broccoli and cauliflower, too. On the grill, it takes just a bit longer than the steaks, but we like it crunchy. Enjoy!

I am taking a supplement, too, but I am trying to find real food, like you. Sorry you can't use the fiber one tip...I'm guessing you use beans a lot as a filler for things like meatloaf or burgers or such? My new thing is lentils. I have recently learned how good they are. A cup of cooked lentils has about 16 g of fiber, too. I am going to make a soup that I can eat post weight training to aid muscle repair.

Speaking of muscle repair, (I know I am on a tangent here) did you know that the bromelain in pineapple is helpful? Grilled pineapple with a honey and lemon/pepper glaze is melt in your mouth wonderful.