homestead - Re: [Homestead] Free!

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Free!
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 10:38:31 -0700

At 9/7/2010 09:35 AM,EarthNSky wrote:
Free stuff...
Got websites?

I saw the subject and thought you'd cast off your chains & wondered what you were going to do now that you were free? ... silly me <g>.

We went camping in the VW at the Packwood flea market this weekend http://www.visitrainier.com/pg/event/30/Packwood-Flea-Market , took two of the grandkids. I didn't find much (a sloped sided cast iron pan, looks perfect for flipping eggs) but enjoyed looking at the people and 'stuff'. My first trip thru it reminded me of markets I'd seen in movies & on the tube from far off places.

There were a LOT of sellers there, camping at their selling site for the long weekend. A tent or RV next to the sales tables, maybe a camp stove set up towards the back with a pot of coffee going or lunch and EZ-UP shelter or two or four over everything. Almost anything you want in the mile long flea market, not just both sides of the street but in large clusters of sellers going from the street. It took over a full day to walk by everything at least once.

Not much in the way of farmers market stuff at Packwood, there were some sites on the way in, one was selling live chickens. As I walked around I thought of the things tvo used to talk about doing in the homestead shop. Packwood is just Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. I remember a big one in Roseville, CA (just outside Sacramento) and have heard of large ones in Grand Prairie,TX and 1st Monday Trade Days in Canton,TX.

I wondered if anyone else had really big flea markets in their area? Anyone use flea markets to make part of your money? Growing vegetables, chickens & beef for yourself takes skill, selling the extra for needed cash is another learning curve.

Big ones are fun to go to as a customer (it's entertainment if nothing else), as a seller you have a lot of customers AND a lot of competition.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA