cc-sampling - [cc-sampling] Re: pick-a-little, talk-a-little ( or, what's in a name?)

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Cory Doctorow <cory AT eff.org>
  • To: mark / negativland <markhosler AT charter.net>
  • Cc: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [cc-sampling] Re: pick-a-little, talk-a-little ( or, what's in a name?)
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 23:30:35 -0700

Didn't Raymond Scott build analog, vac-tube-and-solenoid samplers in the 30s? 40s?

On Saturday, September 13, 2003, at 08:28 PM, mark / negativland wrote:

At 12:46 AM +0100 9/14/03, David meme wrote:
I disagree. I sample everything just to get the sounds into the computer but I am sampling my own work. So it is not derivative...

Still maybe a simple name is best?

Perhaps. But FYI.....

I've never liked the term myself. It refers ( or at least it did) to a digital sound grabbing machine called a "sampler" that "samples" sound. Up until a few years ago, most of the so-called "sampling" done by Negativland was done using reel to reel tape decks (we used "samplers" only sparingly). Re-using sounds by cutting up analog tape isn't what I'd even call "sampling" at all. "Appropriation", "Collage" and "Re-use" always seemed like better terms to us. We pretty much never use the "s-word" word to describe our own work. In my aging brain "sampling" is a term that refers to a certain way of using technology, but there are all sorts of ways to transformatively re-use something without actually "sampling" it.

but maybe I am being too nit picky here.

(that's my main job in Negativland- being picky)

mark