cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] name?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Cory Doctorow <cory AT eff.org>
  • To: David meme <david AT locarecords.com>
  • Cc: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] name?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:29:59 -0700

Not tryign to be a PITA, trying not to name the license with something that is threatening or confusing or hard-to-remember.

On Saturday, September 13, 2003, at 12:25 PM, David meme wrote:

Words are polysemic. We invest them with meaning.

Seems confrontational, rather than reassuring. Is there any widely understood context in which people seek out opportunities to *be* appropriated, or when being appropriated is a good deal for the appropriatee?

Re-appropriating has a very positive connotation particularly in regard to Marx who promised that the worker would be able to re-appropriate his/her labour and hence be free of tyranny.

Reuse, recycling = Ambiguous -- how is that different from "reuse" by burning it onto a CD (permitted under existing CC licenses)?

Reuse and recycling have extremely positive connotations (eg Environmental movements, ecologists). Reuse implies that even if they are used once they can be used again and again... recycling has ideas of sharing and working together to the common good rather than selfishly acting alone...

All good things...

Resampling = Invented word, inherently hard to understand

Two issues:
1. Resampling is not a made up word, well not in as much as it is widely used in music technology to refer to a process of changing a sample speed, resolution or pitch. See http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jos/resample/
2. In any case, even if it were that should not be a problem as we are free to invest a word with meaning ourselves and if it is not previously used then it is easier to define without regard to alternative interpretations...

Sample free = Not sure why this is better than the more clear, briefer "sampling"

Sample free has positive connotations of freedom (Free as in..) and also Sampling itself is heavily invested with ideas of copyright as sampling itself has been nailed down by the majors... Additionally sampling is a verb, the act of making samples, rather than a description of how you can use these samples...

You have an extremely positivistic conception of language, words are not representational, they are invested with meaning by ourselves in and through discourse. Therefore we should think not just of words as a technical mapping of word to object but also of the positive connotations that we can invest in the license by the use of our language...

Cheers

David