cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] name?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: Chris Grigg <chris AT grigg.org>
  • To: cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] name?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 20:24:24 -0700

Minor further thought on something that's been nagging at me:

Lisa said:
Also: Anyone using a CC Sampling license is going to be making a derivative work, by definition, so it seems logical to steer clear of using "derivative" in the name. It's both redundant and confusing.

This seems like a slightly odd reason. I'd say it's more descriptive or appropriate than redundant or confusing. By this logic, One could say that anyone using a CC Sampling license is going to be be using a sample, by definition, so it seems logical to steer clear of using "sampling" in the name; it's both redundant and confusing. There may well be other good arguments for sticking with "Sampling License," but speaking just for me, I'm not sold on this one.

-- Chris G.