cc-sampling - Re: [cc-sampling] What Is The Point Of This List?

cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Development of the Creative Commons Sampling license (or license option)

  • From: mark / negativland <markhosler AT charter.net>
  • To: David meme <david AT locarecords.com>, "Glenn Otis Brown" <glenn AT creativecommons.org>, cc-sampling AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [cc-sampling] What Is The Point Of This List?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:14:57 -0700

At 12:25 AM +0100 9/17/03, David meme wrote:
Round and round is good. We have time. Discussion is fine.

Like I said, I'm happy to take all these names to the team, and I'll do
so on an ongoing basis.

Yes but if we are all spending time discussing names and then they
are just taken to a team who pick one then it is hardly a legitimate
and participatory method of choosing the name. Why not start to
narrow the field, or somehow allow us to take stock of what we are
talking about, otherwise this is starting to resemble a talking shop
that gives the *impression* of participation but lacks any real
power.

I don't think we can take a vote and decide that way,, though...we
have lawyers involved and CC wants this thing to be legally workable,
so it cant just be what the musicians want...Glenn will have to chime
in here to be more clear.......

It certainly makes me wonder what the point of contributing if there
is no end in sight and newbies start us right at the beginning
again.. There surely needs to be some structure to how we are
forming some kind of consensus or decision..

Indeed, there are multiple levels to this discussion, my
understanding (possibly misplaced) was that we were able to not just
*influence* with its implications of a small group of technocratic
'experts' distilling the ideas into 'sensible' solutions. But more
radically we could direct, write and hey maybe even name the license
so that it reflected the needs and wishes of musicians rather than
lawyers... and who is best to make the decisions if about a license
that is for musicians to use... not the lawyers thats for sure!

And that's not to say I disagree with discussion, its just
unstructured, never ending, non-chaired, round and round discussion
that I have a problem with...

Ummm....as one of the chairs/project managers of this list my
suggestion is that you stop reading the "names" e-mails and stop
driving yourself batty! :) :) We just started this "names"
discussion a few days ago and Negativland member Don Joyce (DJ), who
is one of the other chairs, only just chimed in for the first time a
few hours ago. So please be patient.

And in case not everyone new to this list knows, though he isn't a
project manager here, Chris Grigg was also an equal part of the
Negativland team back when we were sued for the "U2" single....his
contributions back then were crucial, brilliant and invaluable and
his contributions here have also been insightful and invaluable. I
will now refer to him as "Mr. Arty Smarty Pants". He does a mean
butt dance too.

David- I think a lot of what you are looking for on this list was
actually discussed and mostly sorted out a few months ago....not sure
if you were on the list then.

Dont forget- trying to satisfy a lowest common denominator usually
pleases no one. For me,trying to reduce Negativland's IP ideas to a
workable license has been an interesting challenge, but ultimately
the real world of US contract law will never quite live up to our
collage-art ideals.... I am reminded of why I'll never be a
politician or an IP lobbyist! Yikes. But we're doing the best we
can here....

mark

David meme

--------THE OPEN SOURCE RECORD LABEL--------